Permits & Forms

Permit Information

All permit requests must be made in writing on the approved form, with applicable payment and insurance if required. We do not take reservations or payments over the phone.  Please print and fill out forms completely and submit to Recreation & Parks office.

Please note: One permit per day per household. Also, please be sure to have a weather back up plan for any outdoor event. A refund for weather related cancellations will not be issued.

  1. Forms — All forms may be picked up at the office (Marblehead Community Center, 10 Humphrey Street); most are available online to print.
  2. Submitting — Please submit forms and payments to the office (no faxes please).  All forms must be completed and signed or they will be returned; please read the applications carefully!
  3. Security Deposits — Due at the time of application for facility and park permits.  Please make check payable to "The Town of Marblehead".
  4. Fees — We accept checks made out to "The Town of Marblehead" or cash (exact amounts appreciated!)  Payments are due within 2 weeks after approval for facility and park permits; all other fees are due at the time of application.
  5. Insurance — The Town requires proof of liability insurance to approve some permits from an insurance provider of your choice.  See the permit applications for more information.
  6. Approval — Special requests (requests not specified on the application) may need to go before the Board for approval at their next regularly scheduled meeting.  Approved permits are kept at the office and copies may be obtained during regular business hours.
  7. Restrictions — By law, no open fires (bonfires) or alcohol are allowed on any Recreation & Parks properties or facilities.

Community Center Facility Permit:

Download the Community Center Rental Permit Application.  Community Center rooms include an Arts & Crafts Room, Dining Room, Game Room, and Gym.

  • Permits for Community Center weekend events may take up to 5 business days to coordinate approval and/or staffing.  All special requests go to the Commission for consideration at their next scheduled meeting.
  • Any private event scheduled that is open to public attendance requires insurance.
  • The Center is for Town & resident use.  Advertising, commercial use (businesses or private camps/programs), and soliciting are prohibited.
  • The Center is a multi-use facility and more than 1 event may be occurring at the same time.

Town Rental Park Permit:

Rental Permit for up to 3 hours for:

Beach Barbeque Pavilion — Two grills available in season.
Chandler Hovey (Marblehead Lighthouse) — Wedding ceremonies.
Crocker Park Gazebo — Wedding ceremonies.
Garfield Pavilion — Two grills available in season.
Gerry Playground Picnic Area ("Stramski's") — Two grills available in season.

Download the Application for Park Permit Form and Request for Park Detail Form.

  • No open fires (bonfires) or alcohol are allowed on any properties under the jurisdiction of Recreation & Parks (Code of the Town of Marblehead § 236-1).
  • All wedding ceremonies & large events (corporate picnics, charity fund raisers, reunions, events open to the public, etc.) require insurance.
  • "Seasonal" permits are for Memorial Day weekend through Labor day weekend.
  • The large pavilion at Devereux beach by the bathrooms is for public use; the picnic pavilions can be reserved by permit. 
  • There is no public electricity on any property.
  • Parks can't be closed to the public for private use. 
  • Park Department athletic fields are for Town of Marblehead sports, Town recreation programs, and public use, not for private rentals.
  • Please remember that all parks are public property. Your help in keeping our parks clean and safe is always appreciated!
  • If you have questions regarding the Town's requirements for insurance, please call the Selectmen's office at (781) 631-0000.
  • Please take adverse weather into account when planning your event.

Float Storage Permit:

Riverhead Beach.  Winter storage only.  Space is limited.  Residents only.

Download the Float Storage Agreement Form.

Kayak/Pram/Paddleboard Rack Permits:

All rack space is SOLD OUT for the 2020 Season.

Stramski/Gerry Playground & Riverhead Beach.  Valid May 15th to November 15th.  Residents only (proof of residency required).
Current permit holders have until the last business day of April to renew.  Remaining spaces will be made available to new applicants online, first come first served, on the first Monday in May.

Orne Garden Permit:

Valid May to November.  Residents only.  This permit reserves a plot in the Orne Community Garden at Bud Orne Playground on Evans Road.  Space is very limited and a waiting list is kept each season.  Permit holders are responsible for clearing and maintaining their plots.  No running water is available.

Download the Orne Garden Permit form.

Seaside Tennis Courts:

Permits for Seaside Park tennis courts are no longer required; play is first come first serve.  No private lessons are allowed on public courts.

Memorial Benches:

Residents of Marblehead may submit a written request for a memorial bench to commemorate former human residents on property falling under the jurisdiction of the Recreation & Parks Department.  Memorial benches are intended to replace older benches as needed.

View the Memorial Bench Policy here.