Harbor Picture by Rob Kipp,
Spirit of ’76 Picture by Nick Fader

Go To Search
Notify Me

Town of Marblehead
Abbot Hall
188 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
781-631-8571 fax





You may register to vote in person at  the Town Clerk's office. Mail-in voter registration forms are provided, as needed.

Town Clerk Election Responsibilities

-     prepares the ballots for town elections

-     receives nomination papers

-     records campaign expenditures and contributions

-     arranges for absentee ballots

-     instructs and supervises the election officers

-     records the election results

-     retains custody of the ballots and voting lists in the event of a recount

-     transmits election results from each precinct as well as the complete list of town officers to the Secretary of State within 24 hours after each election

-     serves as a member of the Board of Registrars registering all voters, recording the party enrollment of each voter in the annual register and certifying the signatures of the voters on all petitions.


Register to Vote

Come to the Town Clerk’s office to register to vote. If you are unable to apply in person there is a mail-in form available in our office or you can request one from the Secretary of State’s Office.


Absentee Ballots

Absentee ballot forms are available at the Town Clerk’s office. For additional questions and a form that can be download, you can visit the Secretary of State’s website.


Hours for Voting

Polls are open on voting day from 7AM to 8 PM.


Where do I vote?

Marblehead is divided into seven precincts. You must vote in your own precinct. Call the Town Clerk to find out which precinct you live in or look in the Residents Book. You can also find your precinct by entering your street address on the Secretary of State’s election page.

    - Precinct 1 votes at the Old Town House (1 Market Square)
- Precincts 2 & 3 vote at the Masonic Lodge (62 Pleasant Street)
- Precincts 4, 5 & 6 vote at the Marblehead Community Center (10 Humphrey Street)


Eligibility to Vote

A US citizen who is 18 years old on election day is eligible to vote. First time voters should register ahead of time at the Town Clerk’s office. Contact us to find out how long prior to an election you must register.


Changing Your Party Affiliation

You can change your party affiliation by filling out a new voter registration form at the Town Clerk’s office.


Local Elections for Town Offices

Town elections are always held the second Tuesday after the Second Monday in May.


Other Election Questions

Please check the Secretary of State website.  All rules for Town Clerks regarding elections are issued from the Secretary of State.


Reporting Donations Collected by a Candidate

The Town Clerk’s office has useful information on this topic. Information can also be found on the website for the Office of Campaign and Political Finance.