Harbor Picture by Rob Kipp,
Spirit of ’76 Picture by Nick Fader

Go To Search
Notify Me

Town of Marblehead
Abbot Hall
188 Washington Street
Marblehead, MA 01945
Birth Certificates
Birth Certificates
If you were born in Marblehead or your parents were residents at the time of your birth, you can obtain a copy of your birth certificate at the Town Clerk's office. The fee is $10 per certificate.  See the Massachusetts State Website to obtain certificates not available through the Town.

To pick up certificates in person: You may order your certificate by phone and it will be prepared in advance of your arrival.   Walk-in requests are also accepted; however, you may have to wait while the certificates are prepared.

By Mail
To receive certificates by mail: Send a check or money order payable to "Town of Marblehead." Your request should include the name and date of birth appearing on the certificate, a contact telephone or e-mail address and a self-addressed, stamped envelope.  If the record requires identification (see below), the appropriate person must sign the request and include a photocopy of a driver's license or government-issued photo ID.  Mail your request to Town Clerk, 188 Washington St, Marblehead, MA 01945. Sorry, we cannot accept credit card payments at this time.

Urgent Requests by Mail
Urgent mail requests: You may use an express or overnight service to send your request.  Include a prepaid envelope of the same type for express or overnight return.  Our address for services other than the U.S. Postal Service is 188 Washington St., Marblehead, MA 01945.

The Massachusetts State Registry of Vital Records and Statistics can also provide certificates for Marblehead or any other Massachusetts community.

Proof of Identification
Records requiring identification: A record is not accessible to the general public if the parents were unmarried at the time the child was born (and have not since married and amended the birth record) or if the father's name does not appear on the record.  When this is the case, only the mother, father (if listed) or child may request a certificate.  Identification will be required.  Identification is not required for other records.